*This post may contain affiliate links. You can read our affiliate disclaimer here.
When you’re having negative thoughts, you know that getting your mind off of it is easier said than done.
In fact, research shows that when people are instructed not to think about a specific topic, it makes it even harder to get that topic out of their minds. But rehashing negative thoughts over and over in your head, also known as rumination, can be unpleasant and counterproductive—and in some cases, it can even lead to chronic depression.
Luckily, there are a few techniques that can help you stop negative thinking and refocus your mind on something positive, the best though, is to distract yourself with something else, something that requires focus and best of all, is productive and helps you improve your life.
An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
Here is a list of Productive tasks you can do to stop negative thoughts!
- Sleep and rest your mind. It’s the best way to shut your mind completely and reset
- Read a book, a Novel and assume the roles of the characters
- Have a spa day and pamper yourself with all the love and that will give you reasons to think positive thoughts
- Take a cold shower
- Go shopping: It’s a solution that allows you to focus on imagining you’re grocery shopping. Just imagine an Isle and the arrangement of items for less than a minute.
- Take a short online class on something you’ve always wanted to learn. Try the drawing for self-discovery class on skillshare its fun and helps you learn and express yourself better
- Craft a morning and evening routine that will help you achieve your goals
- Make a business plan of a side business idea you’ve had
- Brainstorm side hustles for side income
- Re-write your finances
- Pay attention to the thoughts and assess your mental health. Just hear them out. Don’t believe them.
- Stretch and release all tension in your body
- Do a puzzle or a crossword
- Do a one-time self-defense class
- Make a list of habits you want to adopt and bad habits you want to break
- Make and take a healthy smoothie
- Purge expired makeup, foods or skincare products
- Read a children’s book and release your inner child
- Bake: Baking is one of the bests things for me because it’s easy and I just roll with it especially since I have to pay attention to detail.
- Start a bullet journal
- Watch a movie or a long series
- Organize your room
- Watch inspiring ted talks
- Listen to podcasts
- Go on a self-date and think about your value fro someone else’s perspective!
- Listen to music, happy music that reminds you of better times Watch funny videos
- Go through old family albums
- Go on a social media detox: that could be where your negative thoughts are coming from. Read: How to stop social media from affecting your self-confidence
- Create a vision board on Pinterest
- Cry: let it all out, everything you’ve been bottling up, crying will make everything seem better and remove the load from your chest.
On a final note
I want you to remember that the key is to stop having those thoughts. so try to do something else, something that will force you to shift your attention. Above is a list of 30 Productive tasks you can do to help.
The best solution though is to address the underlying issue causing those thoughts. If your negative thoughts are of insecurities, here are 3 best ways that taught me to overcome my insecurities.
If you found this helpful, please PIN this to Pinterest
Thank you for reading.
Leave a Reply